Wednesday 16 October 2013

Welcome to raxterworks

Greetings all,

So this, I am hoping, will be the home of my company to be. I say company, it's really just me making games and things that I like and hope you like too. If it gets big enough I'll make it an official company and such, but even that thought is getting too far ahead of myself. In short, I make games, or tools for people who make games, raxterworks is the housing in which I shall do this in.

My primary skill is programming though I'm slowly picking up the atheistic and design side of things. Although I've spend (way too much) time learning how to code as well as I can in all sorts of languages and environments, I've settled on the Unity3D engine to do most of my work. It's just the easiest way to get idea to actual thing: efficient and minimal frustration!

For now I have two projects I'm working on.

1) A do it all, minimal hassle Gamepad Controller Input Manager Plugin that'll set up all your Unity axes and detect what controller you are using and automatically route the right axes to the right commands. Hoping to release this as an open beta very soon.

2) 6x Mass Production, a puzzle game whereby you must build machinery out of smaller parts using ingenious arrangements of moving hydraulic grabbers, welding rigs and other construction mechanisms! It's based on a mix of SpaceChem and The Codex of Alchemical Engineering both by Zacatronics Industries and I'm hoping for it to be a good first 'official' game.

You can play it using the Unity webplayer:
WebPlayer (18MB): Unity3D Webplayer

Or download it:
Windows  MacOS  Linux (Ubuntu 11.04)

Here are some screenshots from very early development
As you can see, the artwork is very basic... 

Despite it not looking so great, the core gameplay seemed fun, and people likes the idea

Got lots of great feedback, and the next iteration will see improvements to the UI flow and gameplay mechanics. The 'grabbers' were a little complicated to introduce, so I'm planning on introducing sub-versions of these to make the learning curve easier

My initial discussions were on the MakeGamesSA forums, it has far more details than here. But future iterations I'll be posting on this blog as well as on the forums. If you have any feedback, post on the forum or comment here (can I do that here? I'm new to blogging I think the comments bit is public...). Always appreciate criticism. 

I rely a lot on my local game dev community Make Games South Africa for help and guidance. If you are a South African and interested in making games in any capacity (hobbiest, professional, artist, writer, programmer, whatever), definitely check them out! The community is very welcoming to all in my experience.

Thanks for reading!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information i am bookmark this blog. need more post

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mobile App Cross Platform Development && Hire Php Developer India

    ReplyDelete